Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Tommy


A couple of days ago, my parents told me that their kitten, Tommy, was acting strange. He wasn't his usual energetic self, and he seemed to be breathing fast and heavy. I sat with him last night while visiting with my parents. He just laid there. He'd look up at me if I talked to him but it seemed to take a lot of effort for him to do much else. This was not the energetic little kitten we knew. I thought maybe he had a virus or hurt himself wrestling with their other kitty, but of course I figured he'd get better. But my dad took him to the Vet this morning and was met with some very sad and shocking news.

The Veterinarian believes he has Feline Infectious Peritonitis. It's hard to explain but to put it simply, it's a virus that cats can get from other cats who are carriers of it. Not all cats who contract it get sick - especially not with the most serious strain of it, which is almost always fatal. Sadly, that is the strain Tommy has. They believe he probably contracted it from his littermates not long after birth and it lay dormant in his little body until now. That is how it happens - usually while the cat is still in its first year of life. Once the kitten starts to become sick, there's no stopping its progression. It's incredibly sad and hard to believe. My parents are devastated. His heavy breathing is due to his lungs filling with fluid. They can drain the fluid to make him more comfortable for a while but it will return in a short time. 

My parents have a tough decision to make. Tommy will almost certainly need to be put to sleep - but when? They don't want to let him suffer but the thought of putting this beautiful kitten to sleep is too much for them to bear right now. All this while my mother is recovering from cataract surgery she had early this morning (which went very well, thankfully).

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I can't stop thinking about the poor little baby and it's just unbelievable to me that nothing can be done. Praying for a kitty cat miracle.