Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Goodbye Tommy



Yesterday was a terrible day. After much agonizing, praying and denial, my parents came to the decision to have Tommy put to sleep. They couldn't let him suffer. His breathing had gotten much more labored, he didn't want to snuggle, he no longer wanted food...he was fading fast.

I haven't seen my parents this distraught in a long time. It's heartbreaking. They've been through this many times before but I think maybe this is particularly difficult because he was just a kitten. He was my dad's shadow. He was their baby. He brought so much light into their lives in the short time he was here. And to hear my mom say she doesn't think she'll ever get another pet is pretty sobering. I've lost count of how many cats she has had over the years. She still has Sebastian... but I think he may be the last. I wish I could do something to take away their pain, I feel so helpless. All I can do is hug them and remind them that everything happens for a reason. Or so I'm told. It's just that sometimes it's very difficult to believe that there COULD be a good reason for some things... This is definitely one of those times...maybe someday we'll be able to understand. I still can't come to terms with the fact that nothing could be done to save this tiny little ball of joy.



Click here to read more about Feline Infectious Peritonitis and the dangers it can pose to your pets. I think everyone who has or is thinking of adopting a young cat should be informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!