Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Tumblr or Blogger? That is the question...

For the past several months, I've been struggling to make a decision on an age-old question...


Tumblr or Blogger?

 

Which is the better platform for me? I really can't decide. There are a ton of pros and cons to both. Being a Mom who works outside the home, I have very little time to write out stories about my day's happenings the way many like to do on Blogger. Most nights, once my butt hits the couch at the end of the day I'm out like a light within a half hour. What I love about Tumblr is how it makes blogging effortless and fast. Posts can be anything ranging from tiny snippets of your day to to full out, wordy narratives. Tumblr makes it super simple to post photos, videos, text -- anything you want... it's fun and easy while on the go...and you can post 20+ times a day and no one minds. Ok so, point to Tumblr. But what I love about Blogger is that it's a lot more personal and is definitely populated with more "grown up" people. I do kinda feel out of place on Tumblr a lot of the time because it's obvious that most Tumblr users are well under 20 years old. One minute you could be scrolling through photos of flowers, animals, adorable shots of kids and their mommies, and BAM - suddenly your looking at someone's bare....well, you know. {I don't want to type out any specifics here because then googlebots will be crawling my blog and indexing it to attract allllll kinds of unwanted visitors. No thanks} So then I ask myself - do I really want my kids photos and my personal thoughts mixed in with the "anything and everything" content that ends up on Tumblr's dashboard? Not really. Ok - point to Blogger. I guess I've come to the conclusion that what I'd really like to do is use Blogger like Tumblr. Post as often I want, whatever I want, however short or long I want it to be, and stay in the Blogger community. I love the Blogger community. Tumblr, as effortless as it is, is not a good fit for my personality and the personal content I share... So I guess I just made my decision. Maybe. Do you have a Tumblr? I'm interested to hear your thoughts...



Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Do you want to blog for business or just for fun? Blogger couldn't support my blog once it got more professional and I moved to wordpress. NOTE: A change to wordpress.com is not beneficial. Your own domain at wordpress.org is AWESOME!!! IF you want to have a business. If not, I like your blogger blog -- it's cute and suits your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! Nah, I don't plan to use this as anything other than a personal blog. I'd LOVE to use Wordpress if it weren't a paid service :-/

      Delete
  2. I actually use both. :-) I promote what I write on blogger via tumblr.

    I use tumblr more like a hybrid twitter/pinterest :-)

    Also - if you ever plan on monetizing your blog, there are a lot of potential sponsors that don't view tumblr as a blog. but more micro blog - kind of a step up from twitter.

    Tumblr does have an excellent Q&A platform, and I have seen a Christian blogger use this in conjunction with her regular blog very effectively: http://www.simplyheavenlyfood.com/

    Have you considered scheduling your posts? If I know I am going to have a busy week I like to pre-write posts on Sunday and scatter the posts throughout the week. In fact this is what I told my husband to do with his blog (he just got started). You only need to post 2-3 times a week to be considered consistent - and I don't think you need to have exceptionally long posts either. On my blog I alternate between long posts and short posts to try and draw out conversation. SO IMO you can do the short posts on blogger, you just have to work a little harder to find the audience. Speaking of which, I am following you now on GFC :-) OH - before I forget - just because you have a scheduled post doesn't mean you can't post should the urge strike you :-) Nothing wrong with two posts in one day - or change the schedule, what ever works :-)

    Melanie
    My Imperfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your thoughts, Melanie! I hate to say it but I might just give up on Tumblr after all...{except for maybe promoting my posts here through there - that's a great idea!} Other than that it's not really right for me, as much as I want it to be for convenience sake. But thanks for your suggestions - I might give scheduling a try! Thought about it before but never tried it so far. Thank you for the follow too!!

      Delete
  3. I'm kind of lost on Tumblr too. It posts from my instagram & blog. That's about it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Blogger and I don't see why you can't post when you want to. That's what I do! I try to schedule, but it doesn't always happen. I'm not familiar with tumblr, but I've been reasonably happy with my Blogger blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Several years ago I had a different blog, I used wordpress and I also had a tumblr account. When I started back blogging I decided to go back to blogger where I started in the very beginning. I'm happy with it and I don't plan to open up a tumblr account. I did like how easy it was I just have more than enough to keep up with Twitter, Google+, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Deviantart, my blog, and writing my book. And all that is in my spare time away from the kids. If you want both then use both.

    A Mom's Point Of View
    http://www.AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note!