Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

A Rude Awakening


Me with Laura, Summer 1991


I don't even know how to begin this post.
Well, I guess first I can say - I am back. I wasn't sure I would be. 
But....well, something tragic has inspired me to keep at this blogging thing.
Let me explain...

Last Wednesday, I woke up and groggily started walking towards the bathroom to get ready for work, and like most other mornings, I checked my Facebook updates on my iPod. I was not prepared for what I was about to see. A friend of mine who I have known since I was seven years old posted: "To my beautiful sister, Laura. I love you more than you know...losing you is something I never imagined..." as my eyes fell on those last words, I dropped my iPod. I sat down on the side of the tub, picked it up and continued reading. I couldn't believe the words that were in front of me. There had been a car accident. My childhood friend, Laura - an upbeat, beautiful mother of three very young children had been killed. She was gone. Her family was in agony. I wondered for a minute if I was still asleep and was just dreaming all of this. Although I haven't seen Laura since she moved away years ago, we have stayed good friends thanks to Facebook (which I really hate to admit, because I kinda hate Facebook, lol). I watched her kids grow up in front of my eyes in the photographs she constantly posted of them. I knew all about her life, her family, everything she did, and she in turn for me...even across the miles separating New York and Florida which is where she had relocated to with her mother and sister (who I am also still friends with thanks to the wonder of the dreaded Facebook). Anyway, to sum it up....this week has been full of thought and realizations for me. Mostly to never take anything - or anyone - for granted. To cherish memories, be myself, do what I love and just be me and not worry about what anyone thinks of me. It's hard to explain, but somehow Laura's sudden passing has made me want to keep telling my story. It's important to me. If something should happen to me, I want my family to be able to come here and remember what we did together and what I said or thought about. I'm done with trying to pander to an audience on here or to get followers. I want to just be me and document the life I live. Losing such a vibrant friend makes you realize you really never know what will happen tomorrow or even three minutes from this moment. Enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!