Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

This Old House

I have never really understood why, but this house – the house I lived in for a mere three years in my early childhood - has always held a special place in my heart.I have countless memories from inside the four walls of this house.
Memories that for some reason make my heart ache.

I remember this……playing with my dolls in my room and listening to my records (yeah I’m old)

Christmas mornings
I remember our wonderful landlords who always gave me cookies

I remember riding my Strawberry Shortcake bicycle up and down the driveway with my BFF who lived next door, swimming in that Care Bears pool, picking berries off of the bushes, sitting on the porch…so much more. I remember the good times…and the bad. Unfortunately, there was plenty of bad.
All of this from when I was between ages four and seven.
And for whatever reason, I love that house. I always have.
So when my daughter and I had to drive past it on the way to a  friend’s house today, I pulled over and snapped this pic. It ages, but for the most part it has always stayed the same. I “have to” drive past it maybe once or twice a year (it’s not far from where we live now and sometimes I cut down that street) and every time I see it, I feel sad and happy at the same time.
My parents have never been able to understand it at all.
I guess it’s just one of those things in life that you can’t explain.
But I’m so happy I have a picture of it now…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!