Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Justice for Jamey

Most of you by now have probably heard the story of Jamey Rodemeyer – the 14 year old boy who took his own life last month after years of being viciously bullied by his peers at school and online. His story has been weighing heavily on my mind ever since I heard about it. He lived just a few miles away from us and was in a neighboring school district, but the case is getting national attention – even Lady GaGa – his idol – has taken a stand against bullying in Jamey’s memory. It just makes me so incredibly sad that this beautiful young boy is gone now because of cruelty and ignorance. So much more could have been done to help him. Schools need to open their eyes and ears and have ZERO tolerance for bullying. Parents need to monitor their children’s online activities and talk to their kids on a daily basis about what is going on in their lives at school and beyond. Really TALK to them. And LISTEN. I’m amazed at some of the things I find out when I sit and talk with my children about their day. If you talk to your child and you find out that they or someone else is being bullied at school – do something about it right away to help stop it before it’s too late. Call the school – don’t be afraid to do that! Sometimes the school just isn’t aware…other times they need a little prodding or reminder that parents are watching and waiting for them to DO something about it. One of Jamey’s classmates said that he “made friends of the friendless”…sometimes the kindest children are the ones who are hurting the most inside, unbeknownst to the others around them. They just want to be accepted and loved. Jamey’s story is heartbreaking but I sincerely believe he had a purpose in his short life – he was put here to help show the world how much damage bullying can do. His tragedy will save at least one other child’s life, of that I am sure. In response to Jamey’s suicide, our local schools have been really begun to push the anti-bullying issue hard – even in the elementary schools. It’s such an important message to get across to ALL kids, the earlier the better. Because sticks and stones can break bones, but names and cruel words can destroy the spirit…

Please join in the fight by visiting Jameyslaw.org and signing the petition to make bullying a punishable crime, as it should be.

On a related note, please consider taking the Mom Pledge and joining a wonderful online community of Moms who are there to support each other, respect each other, and stand against cyber bullying across the board…what a great community to be a part of.


BWS tips button


Their October blog hop is open now, link up below!

BWS tips button


6 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Thanks for hosting. I am your newest GFC follower. Hope to see you soon at www.indianacouponsavings.com. Thanks, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible thing to happen. No one needs or deserves to be bullied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a moment to pop on over to my blog Lucy's Reality I wrote a post about the same incident, only a different perspective, coming from a mother whose son was bullied for seven years ( my son is now 23 years old, in law school and happily living beyond those miserable years)
    The schools cannot stop bullying alone. We went to teachers and administrators and without support from parents then the bullies will not stop. Please remember that parents run the schools, they are the taxpayers, and they make that crystal clear when they come into the schools, many parents come with their lawyers in tow. It is not a simple fix and the schools (meaning teachers and administrators) cannot solve the problem alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy I agree wholeheartedly that schools cannot combat bullying without the help and cooperation of the parents. I'm sorry if this post came across as me saying otherwise. I read your post and I'm very sorry for what your son (and you) went through... if I was told that my child was bullying or tormenting another child it would break my heart and I would do everything in my power to put a stop to it. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One line will stay with me because you wrote it so beautifully: Sticks and stones can break your bones, but names and cruel words can destroy the spirit.

    He was a beautiful boy, and his story is very sad, and when my daughter came home yesterday asking me what she should do about teasing in the locker room (She is 11), I was crestfallen. She is not going to be the next victim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure which I fear more, my child being bullied or bullying others. I hope neither ever happens, but I hope if it does I handle it appropriately.

    We need to change the pervasive culture that exists in our society that this kind of behavior is OK, or "no big deal." It IS a big deal, and it is NOT OK. Ever.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note!