Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Why do they grow so fast?

So here's what a weirdo I am. I was sitting here on Playlist.com, making a playlist to post on here of songs that my kids have enjoyed listening to over the years. Well, I came up with a few right away...Rainbow Connection, What a Wonderful World....Return to Pooh Corner....wait! BAD IDEA!!! Suddenly, what was going to be a cute little trip down memory lane turned into me sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. You know how it is when a song brings back memories? Well, as soon as I heard the opening chords for Return to Pooh Corner, it was like someone punched me in the stomach and I pretty much became a big teary mess.

Here's the song I'm talking about. It really is beautiful:
Before you laugh too much, here's why: When I had my first child, I was lucky enough to be able to stay home with her until she was a year and a half old. We were inseparable. Then, I got a job working at a daycare center as a pre-school teacher, and as a result, she attended the daycare center - in the toddler room right next door. I could see her ANYTIME I wanted to. One of the cds her teachers always put on at naptime was Kenny Loggins "Return to Pooh Corner". And every day when it came time for my lunch break, I'd sneak into the toddler room and wake my tiny little girl from her nap...I'd scoop her up and play with her in the lobby, or take her for a walk...whatever. I'd just spend the entire hour with her. And it almost always worked out that when I went in to get her, THAT song was playing on the cd player. So hearing that tonight brought all that rushing back I guess. My sweet little girl who used to take naps on a teeny tiny daycare cot is turning 9 a week from Saturday. It's just so surreal. Both of our kids are growing up way too fast. It's wonderful to see them grow and change and become more independent, but it's so incredibly sad how much time has already gone by. It feels like just yesterday I was feeling them rolling around inside me, punching & kicking the crap out of my ribs. Oh, if I had a time machine.... They just truly are not babies anymore...
"Christopher Robin and I walked along under branches lit up by the moon Posing our questions to Owl and Eeyore,
as our days disappeared all too soon

But I've wandered much further today than I should,
and I can't seem to find my way back to the Wood.

So help me if you can,
I've got to get back
to the House at Pooh Corner by one...
You'd be surprised, there's so much to be done.
Count all the bees in the hive. Chase all the clouds from the sky.
Back to the days of Christopher Robin and Pooh..."

2 comments:

  1. Now you have ME crying too!! I never knew you used to wake Sammi up at the "other" daycare. You are a fantastic mother, Tara! I know you treasure every minute with your beautiful children. And yes, they are growing up WAY TOO FAST!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I need to hear that. Sometimes since getting this full-time job, I feel like half a parent. Anyway...absolutely - I used to wake her up every day (unless she was really in NEED of a nap) and spend every minute with her. I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything, but I do really miss THOSE days too. Seems like a whole other lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note!