Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's baaaaaaaaaack...



  • Mood:  So tired...
  • Weather:  
Well, Samantha has Scarlet Fever again She just had it right around the beginning of December!! Enough already! It's basically a strain of strep throat that produces a rash too... (more is explained in the link)
I was really kinda surprised. She's been complaining about a sore throat, but for the most part she's been acting OK and I was hoping it was just a sore throat. But she does have it. I didn't even see a rash on her until we got to the doctor's. We were sitting there waiting for the doctor, and she started scratching a small red patch on her cheek. Then it clicked in my head to check her for the Scarlet Fever rash that she had last time. There it was, all over her chest and back. It wasn't there when she got dressed this morning, because if it had been I would've kept her home for sure. Even the doctor was a little surprised that her throat culture was positive because she was in such a great mood!
So now every time either of them gets a sore throat, I'm having it checked out by the doctor. I know that sounds nuts, but after learning about the strep bacteria and the damage it can do if it's left untreated... and that they won't necessarily seem to be very sick... I'm going to take them in every time. The doctors and my boss & co-workers are going to hate me, lol. But I learned my lesson today. I'm not letting anything go anymore... It's funny, I went from being an ultra-paranoid mom when Samantha was born... to relaxing and not freaking out over every little thing as she got older and I had David.... but now, I've been wrong twice in the past week about both of my kids' health. I really thought David's ear wasn't infected last week, when it was, and I didn't think Sammi's sore throat was strep. So........ I guess back to ultra-paranoid mom it is! lol.
According to Kristen & Taylor's mom, they are very prone to strep. So I have a bad feeling we'll be dealing with this a lot if Sammi's going to be hanging around with them. The doctor said some kids are very prone to it, and strep does have a high re-infection rate.
I'm watching American Idol right now. I love this show, and I'm so excited it's back on!! 
Wooohoooo!!! 
I have to go wake Samantha up in a few minutes for her 2nd dose of her antibiotic so she can go to school tomorrow. The doctor told me she had to have 2 doses today and one in the morning so she would be ok for school. I'm proud of her too -- she really likes school now. She didn't want to miss it today and she's happy she can go tomorrow  What an awesome kid!
I'm glad she likes her school, because I sure don't. Like today - I told the front office that I'd be there to pick her up at 10:15 for her appointment which was at 10:45. They said they'd have her in the office waiting for me, and to just come in and sign her out. So I actually got there on time - right at 10:15. But she wasn't in there yet. The secretary said she called down to Samantha's teacher and they'd send her right down. So I signed the book and waited.... and waited.......... and waited. I kept looking down the hall at her classroom door to see any sign of movement. Nothing. After 5 minutes, I almost asked if I could just go get her, but I decided to have some patience. But after 10 minutes of them watching me waiting and waiting... I said "Would it be ok for me to just go and get her?" and the secretary said "Well, the teacher said to ring her once when you got here and they'd bring her down, and I did that." Then she went back to her typing. Knowing how difficult and ridiculous this school has been about letting me walk Samantha to class -- I knew that was the secretary's way of letting me know that I was not allowed to go and get her from class either. Fine. I didn't feel like arguing, but now I was getting really aggravated because this was going to make it hard for me to get her to the appointment on time. But I kept my mouth shut. After all, these people probably all know know about the bitch-out session Jeff and I had with the principal about walking Samantha to class... and for Samantha's sake, I don't want the school staff to have a problem with me. Finally, 5 minutes later - now it was 10:30 and I had 15 minutes to get to an appointment that was at least 20 minutes away with the traffic... the secretary got up and saw Samantha's teacher's aide in the hallway and reminded her that Samantha needed to be sent down to the office because I was there to get her. The aide said "Oh my gosh, that's right!" and ran into the room to FINALLY get my daughter! I was steaming mad by then - at the secretary mainly. I can't believe they are so insanely ridiculous about parents being in the building. I don't know, maybe it's just me that has a problem with this specific situation -- but AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't wait til she's on summer vacation!
Alright, I'm done venting 
Tomorrow will be the 12 year anniversary of my Uncle Tommy dying of cancer. I just finished a webpage for him on our site: http://www.memorysandbox.com/uncletom.html
I have been thinking about him like crazy lately. Today was the first time in a long time that I actually let myself really sit and think about everything that happened to him, and everything we used to do together. And today it just got to me. I haven't cried about him in a long time, but today I just needed to. I just miss him so much.
OK, time for Samantha's medicine... I hope she goes back to sleep afterwards
~Tara~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note!